Lawyers Alliance Global Network

The first step when emigrating to any country, especially the United States and the United Kingdom is to Identify the types of visa that are available, so you can shortlist those that can be applicable to your personal and business circumstance.


Common visas -Untied States

B1 visa: a business visit visa that will enable you to enter the US to negotiate contracts, attend meetings, conferences and identify business opportunities

B2 visa: general tourism and family visits

E2 visa: allows an entrepreneur or business person to set up or buy a business in the US. The entrepreneur can live in the US to run such a business. E2 is available only to national of specific countries (LINK)

E3 visa: available to Australians who intend to work in the US

H-1B visa:  allows U.S. employers to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations

L1 visa:  available to managers, executives and employees of foreign companies transferring to the US either to set up a branch or to join an existing branch or affiliate. A blanket L1 is available to multinational companies who transfer many employees to the US on a regular basis.

O1 visa: temporary residency and work permit for foreign employees who have excelled in their field or profession

TN visa: allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals, to work in the United States in prearranged business activities for U.S. or foreign employers

EB5: permanent residency (Green card) available to those wishing to invest at least $500,000 in the US economy.

EB2: permanent residency (Green card) available to foreign national employee.  There is a national interest waiver available to those who are at the top of their field or profession.

K1: for fiancés of US citizens

Green card (permanent residency): for family members of US citizens or green card holders – this include spouses, parents, children, brothers and sisters.


Common visas- United Kingdom

Visit visa: for business visitors, tourism, family visitors, academic visitors etc., allows the visitor to stay in the UK for up to 6 months.

Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa: allows an entrepreneur or business person willing to invest £200,000 or more into the UK economic to enter the UK and set up their business(es). This can lead to permanent residency. £50,000 investment is permitted under certain strict circumstances.

Tier 2 visas: for those who want to work in the UK as employees, you can work for any licensed employer (Tier 2 general) or transfer to a UK branch of your current employer (Tier 2 ICT)

Tier 5 visa: visas for those aged 18 -30 years looking to work in the UK, citizens of certain commonwealth countries do not require an employer as a prerequisite.

Ancestry visa: for commonwealth citizens who have grandparents born in the UK

Spouse visa: for spouses of UK citizens or permanent residents

Fiancé visa:  a 6 months visa to get married in the UK, after which you can switch to a spouse visa

Marriage visitor: if you want to get married in the UK, but do not wish to reside in the UK

Right of Abode: available to certain commonwealth citizens with mothers born in the UK


About the author:

Larhdel Law

21550 Oxnard Street,

3rd Floor Woodland Hills,

CA 91367, 310 943 6352

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *